Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I did it!!

Seven weeks ago I did a blog post about my recent interest in running and how I was preparing to run a half marathon. Three weeks after my post, I had run a 10 mile run for the first time and was in horrible pain the next day. It started in my knee and went all the way up the side of my thigh to my hip and my butt. I went from having the pain only when I was running, to being in constant pain. So the last four weeks I have tried a variety of things to get back on the mend including new orthotics, chiro visits, deep tissue massage, holistic therapy, a brace for my IT band, you name it. I went from running 20 miles a week to barely being able to even run 3 miles at one time. I was so sad and bummed that I wouldn't be able to run the 1/2 marathon. And on top of that, I was in miserable pain and was struggling to keep my fitness level up when I could only do low impact aerobic activity (bike, stair climber & some walking). So when it came time to do the race I had decided that I was still going to show up and I would run as far as my body would take me and then I would walk the rest. I knew from experience that once I started walking that it would be too painful to run again. I was HOPING to get through 5 miles of the race. The night before the race sort of felt like I was preparing for the SATs. I packed my bags, had a good meal (and early!) and went to bed early. I decided to throw out all of the things I had done the last 4 weeks and go back to my OLD running shoes and take a few motrin before the race. At the beginning of the run I was nervous and excited. There were thousands and thousands of people downtown of all shapes, sizes and ages ready to take on this adventure. When we got to the start line via a shuttle, the music was blasting and I could feel the energy and excitement of everyone around me. I ran the first 10k with Meredith and Jim. They were really great- watching out for me the entire time. They were constantly checking my heart rate, adjusting our tempo and giving me advice on what to drink and when. Once we hit the 10k, I knew that they wanted to up the speed the last part of the race and I was just hoping to finish the race. We parted ways and with a high five, she said "no walking!!". It was in the second half of the run that I knew I had to find it within myself to keep running. My body wasn't sore (I couldn't believe it) and it became a mental game to get through the end. I kept assessing how far I had gone and would tell myself, ok, we are 2/3rds into it, keep going! In the end, I did this for the kids to teach them that they are capable of doing anything they set their mind to and I did it for me to remind myself that even though I am a working mom who is constantly on the go, that I am still me and I haven't lost my sense of being. So, I finished the race in 2:23 which is good considering I had hardly trained the last month. Next on the calendar, 1/2 marathon in Huntington Beach on February 6th!

No comments:

Post a Comment